Let’s Catch Up



Hi once again!
I know it’s been a while since the last dev update, but I took a short amount of time off the game while I worked on some other projects.
Most of the time while working on the game I post short updates to the Discord Server due to how easy it is to do so while working.

So if you’re part of our Discord, a lot of this will probably be old news, but it’s nice to go over everything that’s changed since the last Dev Post.

Visuals:

A few changes have been made to the visuals of Aquars since the last update.
For starters, I’ve worked a little more on the fur shader to add tapering to each “blade” of fur which gives it a much more realistic look.

As for lighting, we previously used Sonic Ether’s Global Illumination. It was a bit of a hassle to work with and it suffered from a ghosting effect behind player characters.
As SEGI was in beta, we were hoping it would improve over time, but sadly the creator decided to stop supporting it.
This turned out to be a good thing however, as we’ve now switched back to Unity’s newly introduced GI with image processing.

This actually produces much nicer results along with being less graphically demanding than SEGI, so win-win!
Scenes are now much brighter and colorful!

Here’s a couple of in-game shots. The first is the Splotter city so far, followed by a mockup of the Squissum city.

Buildings:

I’ve also been hard at work with the main worlds of the Squissum and Splotter.
I’d been dreading working on these are the buildings are much larger models than I’m used to creating, so texturing them was a concern.
Using a single texture for an entire building ended up looking low res.

After struggling with this for far too long I came up with a solution.
Normally with UV mapping you’re unable to have part of a model repeatedly tile a part of the texture, unless it’s the entire texture.
Doing so would also mean you’re unable to add details/variation to it.

For example, imagine an image of a floor tile which is UV mapped to repeat.
Adding dirt to the tile texture would add that dirt to every single tile on the models surface.

So I decided to write a shader that would allow 2 textures (with normals) to be tiled repeatedly on a model.
But using a 3rd texture on a 2nd UV map to blend the two textures together.

This allows for a texture to repeat along a models surface indefinitely, allowing a practically infinite resolution while retaining details and variation using a low-resolution “map”. The first building I used this on was the one you see in the first image above.
As you can see, it’s pretty highly detailed considering it’s the entire buildings texture is only 2048!

For now I’m focusing on the Splotter city.
This city will probably serve as the home for both the Squissum and Splotters for quite a while to allow me to concentrate on battle stages.

 

The rest:

Due to the time it takes to post updates to the website, I post short, regular updates to the Discord group.
If you’re not there you really should join!

Here’s a recap of posts from there:

Dialog System:

The basis of the dialog system is done, allowing multiple pages of text, with unique animations, sounds and camera angles to be associated with each page.
Hope you like the splattery design for the boxes!

Tail Mechanics:

Attaching and detaching from weapons now works seamlessly, along with the transition from tail physics to animation driven.
Even cancelling a connect part way is fine.

Painting:

Painting is super smooth as you’d expect.

It’s also splattery!

 

Last but not least the game now has an integrated patcher to keep everyone up to date.
And speaking of up to date, you’re all caught up on what’s been going on with Aquars!

And as always, please consider supporting us on Pateron or joining us over in the Discord!
Thankyou for the interest in our project~

One Reply to “Let’s Catch Up”

Leave a Reply to Greggduage Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published.